Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Port of Nancy... Installed

Today, I went to the hospital for an ECG to make sure that my ticker is nice and strong and the minor surgery to insert the medi-port. Normally, you're told that you have to refrain from eating or drinking after midnight the night before surgery, but since mine wasn't until 1pm, I was allowed to eat breakfast. Yay, me!

We got to the hospital at about 11:15 today for an 11:30 appointment. As with everything, I had to register and provide insurance info, etc. The woman registering me slides a form over to me to review to make sure that all my info was correct. I notice that my work number is wrong and keep looking, realizing that the last time I was there was 7 or 8 years ago when I went to the ER with an allergic reaction to some medication. Then I noticed my job title. It was an old job. In one spot it said "Payroll Analyst". Further down, it said "Payroll Anal". How lovely. While most of my payroll experiences were very good, it's true enough that some were a huge pain in the ass. It took all I had not to lose my shit right then and there. I couldn't look at Matt or this woman in the eye. Payroll Anal. Wonder what those job requirements are??

Shortly after registering and correcting my info, I went in to have my ECG done. Because I have a mitral valve prolapse, I've had ECGs before so this was no big deal. It was nice and cool in the room and the tech turned off the lights. I could have taken a nap right there. Ahhhhh. The process took about 20 or so minutes and from there, I was sent to another room to be prepped for the port insertion.

While in the second room, an IV was started as my blood pressure was taken. I filled out an assload of consent forms and the nurse outlined all the cool and exciting "these things could happen" items. You know, things like the chance of my lung being punctured and the like. Groovy! Shortly after, she wheeled me into the operating room.

I climbed up on the table and three nurses (including the one that started my IV) prepped both me and the room. My original nurse (Jamie) explained that they weren't actually putting me under, but we're giving me a sedative to make me nice and relaxed. In other words, I'd be stoned. Given the fact that I've never partaken in recreational drugs (true story!), this is the closest I have!

I cracked jokes with the nurses and made fun of their choice in music. "This is some serious country you've got going on in here!" They told me it was some old Garth Brooks. Hey, whatever works. Enjoy.

They finished prepping me and the doctor came in. He cleaned the area again while Jamie gave me my "margarita" (as she put it). Minutes later, I felt like the walls were moving. Cool!

The only pain I felt was the pinch of lidocaine to numb the areas. After that, it was just slight pressure here and there. As badly as I wanted to fall asleep (again), I didn't. I just laid there in my drug induced stupor. Once the procedure was done, I was wheeled back into the other room to have my IV taken out and recover for a bit. I had to be leave via wheelchair since I did have a sedative which was okay by me because - hello - how often do you get to have a ride out of a building? I'm pretty sure that with my normal grace plus my new drunken swagger, I would have fallen and broken something anyway.

We left the hospital, grabbed lunch and ate it when we got home. I have been in the same position on the couch for the last 5 or so hours. I've slept very little, oddly, but I'm still in a bit of a stupor. I still don't feel great with the sinus infection, but all things considered, it's the least of my worries.

I will be able to remove the dressings on Thursday afternoon, but I have chemo that morning, so they'll have to redo it afterwards. It's sore now so I'm curious if it'll be healed enough or if they'll have to use my arm this first time. Either way will work, of course.

I'm in good spirits overall today and as overwhelmed as I am, I'm very anxious to get this process going so that I can declare victory that much sooner! Woot!!

By the way... The picture is from a tshirt that my OSUBFF, Kristi sent me. Pretty much sums it all up!


5 comments:

  1. Glad I finally found your blog. I'll be praying for you! If you keep up your blogging I have a feeling it will be turned into a NY Times Bestseller! Love, hugs and blessings to you and your family. ~Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff, Nance. Love the Payroll Anal. At the Oberlin bookstore they'd put textbooks out on shelves with each class marked with a four-letter code--Introduction to Poetry was INPO, Analytic Geometry was AGEO, that sort of thing. Guess what Comparative Literature was? Hee. Yes, everyone wanted to take that class.

    But seriously, now. Good luck tomorrow! We'll be thinking of you and JuJuing your way.

    Love,
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you were able to get through that step successfully and praying everything went smoothly this morning. Sending huge hugs your way. Can't wait to celebrate with you once you are cancer free! Love, Angela
    PS - Still laughing over the payroll anal and then Ken's comparative lit course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you today as you begin chemo. Sending good juju also. Love your posts. A bunch of us (seen 10 or so - that's just on the 3rd floor) are wearing pink today. We all smile at each other. Feel those vibes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellen - Thanks!!! :)

    Ken - Hear what Ellen said? Perhaps a certain editor could help? Haha... I love the Oberlin story. That's great. I'd have to buy the book just because! Thanks for the juju!

    Ang - Thank you! I'd love to celebrate! Woo hoo!!!

    Monica - Love it... Good stuff right there. You guys are awesome!

    ReplyDelete