Thursday, April 12, 2012

Chemo Treatment #2

Happy Chemo Day!

We got to MD Anderson at 9:30 so that I could have my blood drawn. This will be a weekly event to make sure that my counts are in a good range do that I can proceed with chemo. Even though I have a port, only a nurse can access it. My choices are to suck it up and let them draw blood from my uber juicy veins in my arms or go upstairs to have the line started by the nurse,
come back down, have blood drawn and then go back up for chemo. Um, no. Maybe if/when my veins get yucky but for now, it's in the arm.

After my blood was drawn, I headed upstairs for the real fun of the day. I got weighed in and had my vitals checked. No weight gain or loss. I'll take it. I need all my chunk reserves not only to keep me from becoming emaciated but I'd like to use it for the new boobies! Hello!!!

The nurse led us back to the chemo rooms. As I've mentioned before, there are 14 private rooms. She walked to room 13. Really? Can't this be like hotels? Couldn't they go from 12-14? Haven't I had enough bad luck? Oy. Fortunately, she just had us hang out there while she cleaned up room 9. Whew!!

Prior to leaving the house, I put a big 'ol glob on lidocaine on my port. It hasn't completely healed and still has the medi-strips. It's healing very nicely but it appears that I have a slight allergy to the tape from the dressing. I had Saran Wrap over the glob to keep it in place. It sounded like a diaper when I moved. Ha!

I found that lovely Lilli should be my nurse each time for the most part. She prepped the port and got my IV started. First came the steroid, then the Xanax, Pepcid and Benadryl. The Benadryl nearly knocked me out. I'm such a wuss. It also made my legs feel like I needed to kick up my heels and dance. All over Houston. In an hour. Crazy feeling. My stupor was much stronger this time - perhaps because I wasn't feeling sick like I was last week or because it's accumulating in my system. Who needs alcohol or drugs when you can have Benadryl?? That shit is awesome!

Next came the Taxol. Thankfully, that was uneventful. As expected, the infusion took an hour. The IV machine screamed alarm bells several times due to air on the lines. The nurses would come in, flick the line, and get it started again. They explained that it's not uncommon for that to happen with Taxol. Okie dokie. Good to know.

The last step is to flush the port with saline/blood thinner to keep it clean and free of clogs. All that gave me was an extra special delish taste in my mouth that was kinda like rubbing alcohol meets paint. Nom, nom.

Sadly, there was no singing today, much to my dismay. "Don't Forget the Lyrics" wasn't on. Dammit! I did doze off here and there but with that IV machine blaring and having the shit scared out of me each time, a nap wasn't really going to happen.

By the time I was done, it was noon. I was starving and wanted Chuy's. I realize that I won't be able to stomach it for long so I plan on enjoying while I can. Once my stomach boycotts, I'll be done. And sad. No creamy jalapeƱo? Someone hand me a tissue!

By the time we got home, my speech was still slurred. Thankfully, Matt drove. What if I had been pulled over? Would I got arrested? Would the cop laugh when he found out it was only Benadryl? Ugh... I did sleep for quite a while. Now that it's nearly 6pm, I'm thinking how good curling up in bed sounds. I don't feel sick and am not in pain. I'm just tired. We'll see what tomorrow brings!

2 down, 14 more to go. How ya' like me now, Cancer bitch?? :)

1 comment:

  1. Looking awesome as usual! I love reading your posts - they're very calming cause they're so matter of fact - reassuring - you take the fear out of the process. Not out of the disease, just the process.

    Rock on! Much love to you!!!

    ReplyDelete