Sunday, April 1, 2012

One more thing!

Oops... Forgot to mention one thing that I realized I hadn't included so far. I also have a breast cancer subset called triple negative breast cancer. This means that it's estrogen, progesterone and HER2 resistant. (Hence the triple negative.) Approximately 10-20% of women with breast cancer have this type, so it's not particularly common; however, it does tend to impact younger women more frequently. (And yes, at 41, I do fall into this category.) It's aggressive and has been known to spread more quickly and lead to recurrence. It won't respond to traditional hormonal treatments, but apparently does respond very well to chemo. This is why they chose the treatment plan that they did. This is also why I'm frustrated that of ALL times, I'm under the weather now and could face a possible delay.

Dammit, couldn't these odds have worked in my favor for the lottery instead??

In happier news, I believe that someone in my house is making brownies and I think that may help a wee bit with the grumpies! Yummm...

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for all of this, Nancy! I hate to say that it's good reading, but it is--informative and instructional and funny. I'm sorry to hear that this triple negative thing is aggressive, but it's great it responds well to chemo!

    Love the booby holes and cranial--what was it?--cranial prosthetics? Ha! Ridiculous.

    Keep you chin up, honey!

    Love,
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, You know I have some idea of how you feel (only from an abstract sort of way 'cause everyone is different). If you need anything from physical help to talking on the phone you can reach out to me anytime. Keep up the kick-ass attitude and use it frequently. Know that I'm thinking about you and love you!!

    Cindy R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken - I want it to be amusing yet informative. Looks like you're picking up what I'm throwing down!

    Thank you, Cindy! I got my baseline mammogram because of you. I scheduled that appointment right after hearing your news. Thank you, again. I'm so glad you're doing well these days! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete