Monday, May 7, 2012

My heart will go on

Today was interesting... I woke up with a super itchy scalp (yeah, surprise, right?) and my heart acting up. I have a mitral valve prolapse which rarely causes me issues these days but periodically, my heart will fibrillate, I'll have trouble catching my breath and can get light-headed. Generally, it's triggered by stress now but lack of sleep can do it, too. It's usually no biggie because I know what it is but given this cancer "fun", I called the doctor today just to be on the safe side. They didn't believe that it was related to chemo at all but felt that I should come in for an EKG just to make sure.

I headed over to the hospital, got my EKG and headed up to the MD Anderson suite to have the results read. One of the nurses, Candy, came out to tell me that it came back normal and was likely due to stress, etc. (Me? Under any stress? You don't say...) She said that if it gets worse to come back right away. Okie doke. Glad I'm fine. I knew I was probably fine, but didn't want to assume.

I also asked Candy about this noggin rash. She told me that it's from the hair falling out and it tends to really irritate the scalp. She told me to use a very mild, fragrance-free shampoo (I am... Baby shampoo!) and hydrocortisone. I stopped at Walgreen's on the way home and got a few different kinds. There were a few metal mini rake back scratchers at the register that I was very tempted to buy as well as a backup plan... I think my eyes glazed over when I saw them. I lathered up as soon as I got home. It seemed to provide some relief but it's still itchy.

I decided that I should lay down for a few to try to calm my gimpy heart down. I woke up three hours later after dreaming and everything. Damn! Clearly, I needed it but geez. I won't sleep well tonight for sure. I'm still in a bit of a stupor and I woke up an hour ago. I'd love to go to bed now but I know better. Sigh.

Other than these annoyances, I felt good today. I was happy and silly still. I don't feel sick otherwise and for that, I am very grateful.

Cancer, schmancer. You won't win.

2 comments:

  1. Just in case you don't know...you are doig GREAT!!!! There is no requirement to feel good or feel positive all the time and I absolutely suggest whining from time to time. No need to explain why this is all encompassing in your life ....how could it not be. If there are those who can't deal with it I truly wish them a life where this does't happen 'cause we know it's a bitch that you don't choose and have no choice when it hits you. Sometimes surviving means taking one hour at a time and sometimes you breeze through a week. Take each step however you need to. Love Ya Lots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I'm just pissed that how many women have gone thru this??; survived, healthy and happy (new boobs and all), yet there is no simple remedy for your galloping crud????????? Come on!!!! Seems like that would be an easy one, but obviously not. We can send people to the moon, land satellites on Mars, yet NANCY'S HEAD IS IN AGONY!!!!

    arg!!!!!

    ReplyDelete