Friday, May 25, 2012

Chemo Treatment #8

Happy Friday!

Yesterday was my official halfway point for ALL of chemo. It's a very exciting milestone! I can do this!

As always, I got my bloodwork done first. There are two techs. One is a little rougher than the other and I always feel a little pinch from the needle insertion to the spring-loaded butterfly clip to release it. The other tech is gentle as can be and I rarely feel a thing. I got the rough girl. She stuck the needle in and yeah - that pinched. We chatted and she told me how hungry she was for lunch already. She said "I am a fat girl on the inside" (She's a tiny thing.) I laughed and said "Well, I'm a fat girl on the outside!" She didn't know what to say to that. Touché, skinny girl. Of course, she pinched me again taking the needle out so I guess we were even. When I got upstairs, I took the bandage off and was treated to an ugly bruise. Swell. I guess since it's the first time that's happened in 8 weeks, I shouldn't complain too much but come on. I look like a crack addict.

I had a new nurse, who's name is Amber. She looked to be no more than about 19. She was very sweet but seemed to drop everything in sight. Matt just rolled his eyes.

Taking the press-and-seal from my port revealed a lovely red blotch. I don't know if it was from the wrap or the lidocaine. I really hope it was only from the wrap. When she got ready to insert the needle into my port, she seemed to have some trouble finding it. Sure enough, she jabbed me and hit the side of the port. Pinch! Take 2... She still pinched me but she got it in. The site seemed to burn a little but I think it was from being jabbed and that my skin was a bit irritated.

I slept hard for most of the infusion - waking only when that damn alarm on the IV machine went off. Uncle Benny gave me quite a powerful punch so by the time we left, I was completely dazed. I was starving, though, so as tired as I was - food took priority. Where did we go? Duh. Chuy's, of course!

On the way home, we headed to Sam Moon (a weird accessories store) at the suggestion of someone that worked in another sex shop that didn't carry wigs. (What?!) I was skeptical but sure as shit, they DID! Straight, curly, layered, long, short, medium... They only had "normal" colors but I was still as happy as a pig in mud. I ended up with three more wigs; a short, black, Pulp Fiction-esque wig, a shoulder-length dark brown/black wig that looked similar to my natural color (that I haven't seen in umpteen years, I might add) and another one that was the same style but was a reddish/auburn. It's a cool color and I really dig it. They're fun and allow me to spice it up a bit. Bald may be beautiful but hair makes me feel like a girl. Not always the same thing.

I didn't sleep a wink when I got home. This is the first time that I haven't slept after chemo. Really odd. Going to bed last night, I took an Ambien and went right to bed but it still took at least an hour to make me fall asleep. I think I woke up once or twice but couldn't say with complete certainty, strangely. I woke up at a pretty normal time but it seems to take a long time for me to feel normal after an Ambien night. I don't have a buzzed bubble head like with many painkillers or whatever but it's like I'm sleepwalking but can think pretty clearly. It was early afternoon before that subsided. I'm sleepy now but can't seem to fall asleep. Dammit.

All things considered, I really do feel great today. I'm in a good mood and feel more determined than ever to kick the shit out of this thing.

I get a date night with Matt tonight. What better way to spend this wonderful Friday night?

Have a good night! Peace out!

**By the way... We totally forgot to take my picture at chemo and remembered when we got to Chuy's. Notice the dazed/stoned look on my face. Pretty.

1 comment:

  1. Love catching up on your posts. Can't believe you've hit the 1/2 way mark! Awesome, I know you can do it! Nasty bruise - bitch slap Amber if you get her again! Hope date nite was fun and that you got to relax over the long weekend.
    XO Monica

    ReplyDelete