Sunday, September 30, 2012

Think Pink - Within Reason

Tomorrow marks the first day of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Historically, I've had mixed feelings about this. I never understood why it seemed that breast cancer seemed to get far more attention than any other type or cancer. It seemed like other cancers were just as worthy of funding. I never felt like breast cancer WASN'T worthy, mind you... Now, given my personal fight, it's my mission to spread the word and help in any way I can to find a cure for this low-life bastard.

What always baffled me more was the overuse of all things pink during the month of October. My cynical side strongly believes that many companies use this as another way for people to buy their product and not that they're genuinely showing support for the cause itself. In all honesty, some of it makes me gag. I'm not really sure what a pink bucket of KFC or a pink can of Campbell's soup has to do with anything, but whatever.

My daughter likes to point out all of this pink stuff. "Look, mom! Pink frying pans!" I appreciate it but I just don't like pink enough to pink everything out - breast cancer awareness or not.

There has been controversy surrounding the Komen Foundation in terms of what percentage of monies are actually used towards the funding of breast cancer research - among other things. While I still appreciate what they do, I've leaned towards the Breast Cancer Charities of America - which happens to be headquartered here, in The Woodlands, Texas. Check them out!

http://www.thebreastcancercharities.org/

All if this being said - now that I'm continuing to deal with my own bout of breast cancer, I feel like it's my responsibility to make people aware. I don't want others to have to go through what I have so far - or worse. I feel passionate about this. I loved my boobies. I won't even lie. I wish I didn't have to lose them.

For the next month (well, and beyond), I'll be drinking the pink kool-aid and will strongly encourage each and every one of you to love your boobies. Yes, even the men. I'll be silly and crass, of course, but also serious.

Pass it along!

Xoxoxo

1 comment:

  1. I so agree with you, pink is not my favorite color but I'll support the cause and always, always encourage everyone to stay on top of their examinations (okay I've got a prescription in my purse right now to schedule a mammogram and it's only 4 days old). It's the smart thing to do.

    ReplyDelete