Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sleep? What's that?

It's well after 4am. I've been awake for a few hours. I'm wondering if I'll ever sleep through the night again. I honestly can't recall the last time I did - even with meds to help me snooze. I am bored silly but am also no fool and refuse to leave the bed. Reading a book or watching TV will more than likely keep me awake rather than help me nod off. This. Sucks. Ass.

My normal routine for insomnia is to play with my phone. I hit these apps/sites in the following order:

1. Facebook: Amusing/confusing/annoying stuff from friends and family is always fun.

2: TMZ: Amusing/confusing/annoying stuff from celebrities is also fun.

3. People Online: See above.

4. CNN/USA Today: I pretend to be smarter than I am and check up on "real" news. Not so surprisingly, I hit the entertainment sections first.

5. Dear Abby (this is embedded in another app): It's written by her daughter now and damn, that woman can be downright bitchy. She tells it like it is - kinda like a tired, piss-poor grandma. She's my kinda girl. This app, though, seems to disregard commas and I'm not sure why. It bugs me. (Of course, since I'm only reading it in the middle of the night, I usually don't give a shit and forge ahead to the next desperate soul.)

6. Google: I will look up whatever random, inane topic is floating through my overactive and wide awake brain.

Today's selections were:
- "Morgan Freeman Dead". There's a rumor that he died. He did not. Whew.

- "Post Mastectomy Pajamas". It's not as easy as it should be to find button-down jammies that aren't long-sleeved or Hugh Hefner-ish. I snickered and thought "I bet Walmart has some." (My least favorite store ever.) Sure as shit, they did. I found two sets for $13 and $11 respectively. I can even get them online to avoid actually visiting a store. Shipping is .97. Score!

- Pollen counts for my area followed immediately by "Allergies vs cold". I have a scratchy, itchy throat. I'm a little congested. My ears also itch as do my eyes. This all started earlier in the evening. (Well, not my eyes. They've itched for days.) I hope and pray that it's only allergies and not that I caught a cold a week and a half before major surgery! I will be sooooo pissed if I'm sick! I can't really take any meds because I was told NOT to in preparation for said surgery. Argh.

As I look at the clock, I've only wasted about 20 minutes on this little ditty. Frankly, I'm surprised it's taken that long. I'm sorry for the rambling. It's a brain dump at this point.

Aw, shit... I just remembered. I had iced tea at dinner. Sure, that doesn't sound like a big deal but since I don't drink caffeine as much as I used to, I'm uber sensitive to it - especially if I have it late in the day. Dammit... It's irritatingly comical, really. Matt is peacefully sleeping next to me. Perhaps I should accidentally wake him up. Misery loves company, no? Ha...

I still need to provide an update on my pre-op doctor's appointments this week. I think I'll save that for a time when I'm a bit more well-rested. Gotta keep my facts straight and I am waaaaay too lazy to actually get out of bed right now and look at my paperwork to confirm these facts.

It's now 5am. I'm going to try - in vain - to snooze again. Wish me luck.

Peace out.


1 comment:

  1. You're getting one step closer to moving past this and I know you'll come out on top. Just hang in there and you'll be looking back on this bad dream!!!

    Love Ya!!

    ReplyDelete