Thursday, August 9, 2012

The little plant that could

Many years ago, our office moved from one building to another. When we moved in, there were a couple of ivy plants at the desk of one of my coworkers, named Karen. Karen kept them green and healthy and happy while she sat at that desk. We had a desk move and I ended up moving into her desk. She asked me at the time if I wanted to just keep the plants since she had inherited them herself. I said "of course" knowing that I really didn't have a green thumb but figured they'd be nice to have.

Over the next couple of years, I managed to keep the plants alive and well. Karen, unfortunately didn't fare quite as well. She was diagnosed with cancer. (I want to say that it was ovarian or uterine, but I just can't recall at the moment...). I felt then that I had to keep the plants alive for her. She "gave" them to me, after all. Sadly, she lost her battle after a hard fight. She was a very sweet woman and I've always thought of her when I'd look at the plants.

Several moves later, I was down to one plant. I had a temporary desk and it was back at my old desk. I hadn't been watering it or really giving it any thought. Clearly, I had other major things on my mind. Once I got to my permanent desk and got my belongings, I saw that it was at the brink of death. The leaves had all but fallen off and died and the branches/stems were wilty and sad. I thought of Karen and my own plight. (Yeah, it was a sappy moment...) I couldn't let that plant die. It had to live - for Karen and for me. I cut all the dead parts off and put it in the window with a fresh drink of water and hoped for the best.

Earlier this week, I saw that my pathetic little plant had sprouted some little green leaves. It is making a comeback. What a little fighter.

Just like Karen. Just like me.

I won't let it die. It seems awfully symbolic now. It's my "fuck cancer" plant and I love it. It will be healthy again and so will I. Thank you, Karen for giving it to me!

Here it is in my window. Makes me grin. :)





2 comments:

  1. Well, great minds think alike. I have a "Tom Plant" given to me by a dear friend who died about 12 years ago of pancreatic cancer. I have a black thumb but I brought that plant from the DFW area and it's the only plant that has not died on me. I'll do your "Karen Plant" a favor and try to never look at it for that seems to be all it takes for me to doom them. Maybe those plants, like us, just have a special strength that enables us to go on despite what life throws at us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen is watching over you and her plant and smiling! She was so sweet, just like you. Who'da thunk?

    ReplyDelete