Wednesday, November 21, 2012

I'm thankful for...

In no particular order...

1. Eyebrows and eyelashes. Welcome back, my friends. I've missed you.

2. My rockstar husband. He's been to my appointments, laughed with me, cried with me, drained my yucky drains, plus umpteen other things. He's the best caregiver I could ever ask for. He also rocks the bald.

3. Being cancer-free. Duh.

4. My mini-rockstar girls. They were forced to grow up fast with this and have been so helpful, loving and compassionate. They've also got solid senses of humor, which is awesome.

5. My Mohawk. It was short-lived but let me be one badass-looking rebel for a week. It was empowering and freeing, too. Damn, I wish I still had it.

6. My sister. We've been through some unfun shit the last couple of years but we can count on each other. Our relationship has only grown stronger and I'm so fortunate to have her.

7. My pups. They curled up with me when I felt like cow shit or was stoned after chemo. They hopped down at the first sign of Matt coming in the room so that we didn't get busted. Good dogs.

8. Amazing insurance. I understand how people can become financially devastated after an event like this. This stuff ain't cheap.

9. Chuy's. They were my post-chemo eatery of choice and never failed to make me happy. I could always stomach it, surprisingly enough. Creamy jalapeƱo is yummy, yummy crack.

10. All those who have walked, run and relayed in my honor. I'm lucky to walk in a straight line without tripping, so there's that.

11. Scarves. They've kept my bald head warm and hidden. They've also kept Frankenboob warm and hidden.

12. Boardwalk Empire, True Blood, American Horror Story and Duck Dynasty. Violence, sex, vampires and hilarious rednecks have provided excellent distractions one episode at a time. Okay, a few marathons here and there but who's counting

13. Woobies. Perfect for napping or recovering.

14. Social media. I can continue with my attention whore activities AND spread awareness about breast cancer at the same time. Score!

15. MD Anderson. They saved my life. I love that shit.

16. A strong - albeit warped and sometimes wildly inappropriate - sense of humor. It's kept me sane.

17. Prozac. Happy pills help. I'm not ashamed. I'd be a hot mess without them. Well, a hotter mess, that is.

18. Boy bands. That is all.

19. Everyone that's provided meals to us over the last several months. It's so hard to ask for help and this is something I'd never ask for but wow... It was huge. I could never repay that generosity. Seriously. I'm a lousy cook. Ha.

20. You and you and you. Even you.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours from me and mine. Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment