Monday, October 8, 2012

Hello, friends!

Hi!
Happy Breast Cancer Awareness Month!  I'm sure I'm driving my facebook friends absolutely nuts with my breast cancer stuff, but I'm all over it.  I've had a Boobie Fact of the Day, among other things.  Sample:

"While it's extremely rare, some men can actually lactate.  Admit it - you just thought of that scene from 'Meet the Parents', too..."

This has become a passion.  I want people to be aware and not have to go through something like this.  It sucks.  Sucks donkey asses.  With burs stuck in there.

This past Saturday, several friends and family and I drove down to Houston and participated in the 22nd Komen Race for the Cure with approximately 30k others.  A few ran the 5k and most walked.  I walked some of it.  I'm hoping to walk the whole thing next year.  It was empowering and humbling all at the same time.  As a brand-spankin' new survivor, I got to wear a special survivor shirt.  I got high-fives and thumbs up throughout the event.  Pretty damn cool.

Thank you to Sue, Donna, Sharon, Claudia, Criss, Rachael, Bethany, Emma, Hana, Katie and especially Jenny (my PIC), Jenny (my sister), Hannah and Maddie.  You've all rocked my world by coming out on Saturday.  I simply cannot thank you enough!







** Side note: When I got my shirt, all they had left were XLs or XXLs.  I took an XL and I was swimming in it. Couple that with my Stay-Puft Marshmallow status and I felt super cute.  I would have cropped myself out from the arm down BUT this guy's outfit was far too awesome not to include! 

I also had a follow up with my oncologist, Dr. Nelson, today.  This was the first time that I had seen him since my final chemo treatment in August.  He was giggly and all smiles when he came in.  (Yes, giggly...)  He reiterated the good news that Dr. Rourke had shared; that my pathology reports were really great.  He went on to tell me that with triple negative patients, only about 30% of them have labs as clean as mine.  Put this in perspective...  10-15% of those with breast cancer have triple negative. Of THOSE people, 30% have completely cancer-free reports after chemo/surgery.  These are the kind of odds I love. Chemo is a nasty dirty monster, but it saved my life.  

My blood work showed that I am slightly more anemic than I was last time.  He wasn't too concerned since I did just have major surgery a few weeks ago.  He believes that it should resolve itself as I heal.  Interestingly, when I had my vitals checked prior to the appointment, my body temperature was back up to 98.4, which is the closest to normal that it's been since I started chemo.  My body is slowly getting there.  I have my full sense of taste back and rarely have any effects from the neuropathy.  My chemo brain is still a factor and actually feels a little worse lately.  I hope that goes away in time, too.

My next appointment with Dr. Nelson will be in February - which is four months from now. I'm officially a follow up!  At that point, we'll schedule my regular annual mammogram, since I'll still have my good boob by then. 

My sister and her family came out this past weekend.  It was so wonderful to have them here.  They live about 7 1/2 hours away and are closer than any other family.  They gave me that little boost that I've needed.  They're good shit.

I've genuinely had a great few days. I'm glad to be on the uphill swing!  

More later...

Peace out.



1 comment:

  1. I say it's better to drive a few people nuts by spreading the word and save a person rather than keep quiet. I'm so happy that you were able to spend this past weekend as a "Cancer Survivor"!!! Damn straight!!!

    ReplyDelete